12.14.2007

Searching for Sea Glass



This morning, after I dropped my daughters off at school I decided to take a walk on the beach. A friend of mine collects sea glass, so I thought I'd try to find some for her.

As I walked along, searching for that elusive piece of colorful glass I found so many other wonderful things. I saw dogs running along the shore and solitary fisherman casting out their lines. I found perfect shells in all sorts of colors and stones that look like little jewels.

I thought about how my search for the sea glass is sort of a metaphor for my life. When I was young I had pretty big dreams. I pictured myself working for Saturday Night Live or David Letterman. As I worked in New York and pursued my grandiose goals, (which about a million other people aspired to) other opportunities and experiences came my way. I met so many talented people and had lots of good and bad times.

Did I ever get a job working for Letterman? I think you know the answer. But I did end up in a great place, blessed with so many treasures worth far more than I ever dreamed.

I never did find the sea glass I went searching for. But I did have a peaceful walk on the beach and I brought home some beautiful shells for my daughters.

The next time I go I'll bring them with me, so we can walk along the shore and look for sea glass together.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

-John Lennon


8 comments:

Donna said...

Funny how we chase our dreams and discover a better reality, isn't it?

That was a lovely post!

a. said...

I get very reflective when walking on the beach too - which beach do you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Avery Gray said...

Beautiful post! Reminds me of when my grandmother used to say, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

PaperCourt said...

Sounds like a great, peaceful day.

Maude Lynn said...

Beautiful post!

Things That Inspire said...

What a nice, peaceful post! After reading it, I had a feeling I would like your blog, then I scrolled down and saw a Housewife from Orange County, and that sealed the deal. I am strangely addicted to this show!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

I get all introspective like that when I am on a car trip.

Blogging is the new Letterman!

The 5 Bickies said...

Such a great post...I could use a seaside walk with my kids today!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.