3.16.2008

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!! and early Alzheimer's

I know you've all been waiting for the results of today's tennis match with baited breath. (Humor me...sometimes a part of friendship is feigning interest!)

The good news...my mixed doubles team is going to districts. The bad news...I'm not playing. My partner and I won today, but we're both the new kids on the block and the rookies don't get to go to districts. (There are 6 doubles pairs on my team, only 3 get to play.)

Oh well, I feel good that I contributed to our win and I'm off the hot seat!

To be honest with you, I'm lucky I made it to the match at all.

I was convinced that my match was being played at the Atlantic Club. I arrived 20 minutes before the match, checked out my hair in the mirror, looked around for my team members. "Hmmm," I thought, "where is everyone?" I sauntered over to the front desk. "Where is the USTA mixed doubles match being played?" The lady at the desk gave me an answer I DID NOT want to hear. "No mixed doubles today...there's a junior tournament all afternoon!"

At that point I almost peed my tennis skirt. In a split second I went from la la land into complete panic mode! I grabbed my new Blackberry with no phone numbers programmed into it and started calling tennis clubs. Finally I found the right club. Colts Neck Racket Club !! My match started in 10 minutes. I was 15 minutes away, there are game penalties for lateness. These people take there tennis very seriously and lateness is not tolerated. (Sounds like fun right?!)

Normally I try to obey traffic laws, but this was a serious emergency! When I tell you that I FLEW up the highway it is not exaggeration. Thank goodness I didn't get pulled over.

The big victory of the day is that I made it to the match, right on time and no one was hurt. The lesson for me, double check EVERYTHING from now on. I've been spacing out ALOT lately. I'm not sure what the deal is!

Considering how freaked out I was, I played unusually well. Maybe the secret is to panic about something unrelated to tennis, thus eliminating tennis related anxiety! Who knows.

That being said, we're going to spend a nice evening watching "Napoleon Dynamite" as a family. It'll be just like "The Waltons."

Happy Sunday!


9 comments:

LunaNik said...

Well congrats on your win even though you don't get to move on.

Boo =(

And it must be something in the water here because I've been a space cadet lately also!

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I had no idea the Waltons watched Napoleon Dynamite. But then again they were pretty hip for their time.

Blog Hoppin'

suchsimplepleasures said...

night, john boy!!

hahaha...oh i floor myself!

congratulations! sucks that you don't get to go on but, there's always next year!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That totally sounds like something I would do (confusing the venues - NOT winning the match!) :-)

Unknown said...

Congrats! But who gets to play in your place? I'm confused....

Anonymous said...

Thank God u made it to Tennis alive
It's not worth it but I am very happy that you did so well

so tired said...

Good Night Mary Caffeine!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your team winning, Jill! Bummer that you don't get to play in the districts though. Sounds like you really earned that win! LOL!

Candace said...

mazel tov!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.