5.01.2010

In MY face!

It's that time of year again.

USTA ladies team tennis time.

The time of year when we all restring our racquets, break out our new spanking new uniforms and try to snag the best doubles partner possible.

In this part of Jersey, USTA team season is short. 5 weeks, 10 matches, and there is never a dull moment.

My first match is May 17th and I'm feeling the heat already. Even in practice things can get intense.

Take yesterday for example. My partner and I were playing two other girls on my team, I kind of spaced out and made a late call (like 3 seconds) on a long serve. When I made the call, one of the ladies we were playing got all Serena Williams on me and started SCREAMING at me. "YOU DIDN'T CALL IT!! YOU DIDN'T CALL IT!!! IT'S OUR POINT!!!

Whoa.

"Okay," I said, "I'm sorry. I should have called it sooner. No problem. It's your point." I said calmly, even though I was starting to get pissed.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL IT SOONER IF IT WAS OUT??! YOU JUST STOOD THERE LIKE THIS..." (she then proceeded to open her mouth really wide and stick her chin and lips out like a brain damaged ape) "YOU JUST STOOD THERE LIKE THIS!! (she made the insulting face, YET AGAIN.)

Okay, at this point I'm really mad. I repeated. "I'm sorry, next time I'll be more decisive and firm on my calls."

Everyone on the other courts was staring, it was quite the scene. Finally our coach ran over to try to calm her down.

My partner and I walked back to our places and the other player stomped around on her side of the court, breathing heavily until we resumed play.

A few points later she hit a great shot down the line a few inches away from the line. She jumped up and down with pride.

I thought I'd made a joke. "I think that was out." I deadpanned.

She almost came over the net at me. "I'm KIDDING!!" I said.

She wasn't laughing.

Lighten up psycho.

Thank god she had to leave after an hour, because it was so tense, and not fun. Not fun at all.

When she left, I got to go onto another court with some normal people. Nobody screamed at anyone else about close calls, or mistakes. Nobody jumped up and down like they won the lottery when they hit a good shot and we had a wonderful time.

When practice was over I mentioned the outburst to my coach.

"Don't worry about it," he assured me, "she's not your partner. It's just her personality."

Just her personality? I guess killing people was just a part of Charles Manson's personality too.

I think outburst like that are unacceptable. My call was late, and that IS annoying. Does that justify someone getting in my face and screaming?

I think not.

I used to like this lady. Maybe her fiery personality is endearing to some, but not to me.

It's that kind of behavior that ruins team tennis.

Two weeks until our first match.

Let the games (and drama) begin!!!




8 comments:

Tara R. said...

Good luck with your season...

Maybe we should change 'going postal' to 'going tennis.' The uniforms are definitely cuter and the weapons hopefully less deadly.

Anonymous said...

i do that too- to those who are uber sensitive i start by being annoyingly sweet back- and i call every single ball even if it's obviously in and with a smile on my face- and then sometimes add 'man what a great shot!' then they end up feeling and looking like hte asshole. :)

liz said...

Lighten up psycho is right! I laughed out loud at your Charles Manson reference! Good luck!

Unknown said...

yes good luck with your season1 I think i need to take tennis lessons and join up i feel like i am missing out on some fun times

Sandra said...

Oooh, this post infuriated me and I wasn't even there. I'll have to admit that I would be hoping for her to get a beat down this season on a regular basis. She's a horrible, miserable person. And you're wonderful. Too bad for her. xoxo

Anonymous said...

your tennis friends do sound like bitches. maybe you should take up power yoga?

Anonymous said...

OMG if it makes you feel ANY better, I think that witches twin lives down here in Florida;) LMAO I play the "kill her with kindness" and I am pretty sure that gets to her more than anything, bwhahahahahahaaha

Good Luck this season!!!

Nishant said...

Good luck with your season...
post free classifieds

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.